Sunday, January 20, 2008

Sick or SICK!

Without jinxing either one of us, Russ and I were the only two members of the Steamboat Springs family to avoid a hacking cough and flu symptoms the past two weeks. Julie went down first, then Sam Carberry followed closely by momma Jenelle Carberry.
Since we weren't sick, we decided to get some SICK powder turns this weekend as we discoverd a new spot tagged "The Fingers," in North Routt County.

I'd finished a big deadline on Thursday and took Friday morning off to go hike with Russ (pictured) and two other friends who live here in town. We skinned 3,000 feet before noon (three runs down) and I felt only marginally guilty for leaving Jenelle home with Sam.

Saturday, I hung out with my two ill loved ones, pampering them as best I could. Late Saturday evening, I called Russ and we both had the same thing on our minds: another Fingers session Sunday morning. This time we brought along the camera.

It had snowed a few more inches and covered our tracks from Friday and we were lucky enough to surf the overhead "Champagne Powder," a famous cliche' here in Steamboat. It was light and dry and I was bummed Jenelle couldn't be there with us to enjoy it (we somtimes trade with friends, leaving Sam with them so we can ride together).

We'll have to wait until early February to get out together again. I have to attend Outdoor Retailer in SLC next week (where I'll get to see Emily B.) and Jenelle is heading to a yoga workshop in Boulder when I get back.

Live, love and be happy,

Joe

2 comments:

Pence Planet said...

Joe what a great entry. The picture of Russ is how winter should be played out. Unfortunately the other part of winter "sickness" has hit our family too. We sure love the photo of Elly laying one on Sam. She is sure into that kiss. We love and miss you all.

Anonymous said...

Too much snow!! Who would've imagined? Great shot of Russ!
Much love,
J